Book Review: Leviathan by Scott Westerfeld


Book: Leviathan
Author: Scott Westerfeld
Official Website: Westerblog

Synopsis:

Prince Aleksander, would-be heir to the Austro-Hungarian throne, is on the run. His own people have turned on him. His title is worthless. All he has is a battletorn war machine and a loyal crew of men.

Deryn Sharp is a commoner, disguised as a boy in the British Air Service. She’s a brilliant airman. But her secret is in constant danger of being discovered.

With World War I brewing, Alek and Deryn’s paths cross in the most unexpected way…taking them on a fantastical, around-the-world adventure that will change both their lives forever.
I didn't really want to write a book review but I guess if I'm gonna read as much as I do and put it in my scrapbook might as well tell you all about whether I like the books or not.

Review: I have never read anything by Scott Westerfeld I know he wrote the Uglies books but I was never intrigued by them. What caught my eye about this book was both the cover and the name. I've heard the name before (I read alot of books) So I took a shot at reading this one. I grabbed it off the shelf at the store and started automatically I read alot faster than I did for this book but I was busy so I only read it on the train and if I got the chance to sit and read it.
The story is told from 2 points of views and those two people don't intertwine until very late in the book. It's also based on an Alternate reality from the actual historical points. As you learn the circumstance of both characters you also learn about their very two different worlds. Alek the rich Prince of the Austro-Hungarian throne who is forced into hiding after the assasination of his parents Archduke Franz Ferdinand and wife Princess Sophie Chotek (Who are real people in history and are involved in the first World War). Than There is Deryn a female posing as a male to be able to join the army so she can be a pilot like her father. Both worlds are introduced as Central Powers (Clankers) who use machines to fight and travel and Entente Powers (Darwinists) who have created animals to be able to fly The Leviathan being their most powerful, It's made up of several animals the outer base being a whale. This is as much of the story as I am giving out for fear that I may give away too much.
The book overall is a good read the only real flaw being the ending. As much as the story develops you don't get a full ending and it leaves you wondering why it didn't end better.

Comments